Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Wednesday!

What have I been reading?  Wow - everything I have handy!  I keep starting new books depending on which room in the house I am in.  Not the way to go - I don't recommend it. 

I just read Dead in the Family by Charlaine Harris.  I have been meaning to get it read since it came out, but so many books on the stack.  I saw it sitting on the shelf and had to start it.  Read it all day!  I am not getting as much cleaning done as I want to, not that it is breaking my heart!  This was a great read!   She has well-developed characters that have been brought from other books in the series, while bringing in new, interesting characters at the same time.  I enjoyed the expanded roles some of the characters had in this book.  I still want Sookie to be with Bill, but that is just me - I realize that the whole vampire marriage thing makes that not work out, but a girl can hope right!  The new Claude is amazing!  I love the new bartending woman, Kennedy.  One of my favorite characters is Pam - she is just a great vampire. I also really like Sam.  I was thrilled with the closure on the Compton/Bellefleur issue.

 
Today I read Wings by Aprilynne Pike.  This book was on my summer reading pile from school.  This was an amazing story.  She gives a whole new look to the fae.  I wasn't sure about the whole flower/wing idea at first, but I really enjoyed the book.  Her characters are well thought out.  You instantly admire David, for so many things and you fall for Tam immediately.  He has that mysterious air that demands another look.  Lauren and her parents create the perfect family for the plot and the complications and struggles keep you turning the pages.  I can't wait to go get the sequel:  Spells .
I just started The Mark by Jen Nadol this afternoon.  I am only on chapter five, but I am loving it.  I feel for Cassie, I can't imagine what it would be like to "see" the deaths of people.  I don't have much to say about it right now - more when I finish. 

20 comments:

CMash said...

"The Mark" looks interesting. Will wait for your review to see if it goes on my tbr list.
CMash

Amber at The Musings of ALMYBNENR said...

I've only read Holly Black's fairy stories but Wings looks interesting!
Thanks for stopping by mine! :)

Katherine said...

The Mark sounds interesting! Thanks for commenting on my blog! WWW is a great way to summarize what we're reading, isn't it? :)

Katherine from a love for literature

Paula Calvanico said...

I didn't like DITF as much as you, but yes, the new Claude is wonderful, and I like Kennedy as well :) I liked how it ended, how about you? Myself, I'm a team Eric gal, but boy do I love Pam. She is one of my fave characters! On the show this wkend she said a line that I love!! "Are you picking up what I'm puttin down?" to Lafayette! She is awesome.

Paula
Tomes Devotee

Beverly said...

Paula - I have never seen the TV series - only read the books. I am going to have to pick up the series on DVD soon. DITF is not my favorite Sookie, but I still loved it!

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I've been wanting to read something by Charlaine Harris.

Yvonne said...

I love the Sookie books!

Unknown said...

I hope you enjoy Dead in the Family. I prefer the small screen versions though. Thanks for stopping by Bookventures Book Club today.

Happy Reading!!!!

Aimee said...

Nice picks! I have Wings that I have yet to read, but will soon! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your link!

Literary Cravings said...

Great Picks!! I haven't gotten to Wings or The Mark yet, they both seem very interesting! Thanks for stopping by my blog!!

Lara said...

I am so behind in both the Sookie Stackhouse books and the True Blood television show- I'm looking forward to semester break to perhaps catch up on them both =)

Wings is on my TBR shelf, have you heard that they're making it into a movie? It's starring Miley Cyrus though...

Bailey said...

Wow, you read a lot!! Very admirable! And cool picks too. Thanks for stopping by and checking out my new blog :)

Chelle said...

I have not read any Sookie books, haven't even heard of them...where have I been? Wings looks interesting, too. Thanks for sharing your reads!

Milka said...

I've wanted to read The Mark for a long time now! I can't wait to hear what you think of it!

Tammy (The Book Fairy's Haven) said...

I'm dying to read all of the books that you've got listed here and have heard great things about all of them, especially The Mark.

Jess said...

I enjoyed Dead in the Family too! Have a great week of reading.

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

I really must get around to buying a Charlaine Harris book! :)

Vanessa said...

Hi Beverley
Thank you for hopping over to Spain and checking out my blog.
So in the spirit of this meme I am here on yours.
Very interesting books;none I've heard of, so will be adding them to my list.
In case some of your friends would like to see my recommendations, here's my link:
van-vinos.blogspot.com/2010/06/w-w-w-wednesdays.html

Do stay connected.

Beverly said...

Thanks to everyone for visiting! I love hearing from everyone! My kids can't believe that people from all over the world all blog!

Nishant said...

The Mark sounds interesting!
Adsense Alternative