Thursday, March 13, 2008

Thing 17: ELM Productivity Tools

1. Gale/Cengage Learning: I set up my search alert to search for articles about how to get and or keep boys about age 11 reading. I am hoping to find some mind blowing idea that will change the course of history, but I will be thrilled if I can get a few ideas that I can try out.
2. EBSCO: I like the choices on EBSCO. I enjoy having the ability to look at back issues. I added quite a few journal alerts from here, I also added a couple articles to my folder. I don't understand what I am to do with the web page that I have set up - but the background is cool. Who gets to see it besides me? I saved it to my desktop and I believe I will use the link to check on articles when I get alerted. Comparing the two (Gale/Cengage and EBSCO) I like EBSCO better.
3. Proquest: I tried to set up the webpage the way the directions said, but it didn't take me anywhere and it didn't offer a save spot. I did email it to both myself and to a friend. I found a couple articles that look like they might have good info too.
4. NetLibrary: I had never used NetLibrary before today. I signed up for an account and checked out the site. I think this tool will be very useful to students and teachers.

No comments: